Art Journal Love With Fatima Bano
INTRODUCING FATIMA BANO OF @theinnercosmology
She's a mixed media artist from Singapore who is not afraid to express herself with vibrant colors and bold marks. If you're having a hard time getting started with Color Crush Creative's weekly color palette project, then try out this great idea that Fatima had to try out the color combinations in an art journal. Art journals are not only great practice but also a way to take the pressure off yourself as you explore new ideas.
“There is no such thing as a perfect sketchbook. It is the one little contribution each day that comes together to form a 'perfect' sketchbook eventually.”
Fatima has more than 10 sketchbooks going on at the same time, ranging from the tiny Moleskine watercolor albums to large 9 by 12" journals. She's eternally on the lookout for sketchbooks in different sizes and formats. There is no such thing as a perfect sketchbook. It is the one little contribution each day that comes together to form a 'perfect' sketchbook eventually. "So," Fatima says, "if you're starting out, commit to a small sketchbook. It is less daunting."
TAKE A LOOK INSIDE FATIMA BANO’S ART JOURNALS
A FEW FUN THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT FATIMA:
1. As a kid, she hated making art that was learned in school. Fatima would mix all the colors just to create a muddy mess as an act of rebellion.
2. Her favorite color has always been blue - any and every shade of blue, except for baby blue.
3. Most of her works are inspired by nature and how it serves as an escape for her.
4. She speaks fluently in 4 languages.
5. Fatima often feels like the 'Other' no matter where she goes. She identifies as an idiosyncratic person - inherently Indian yet not 'Indian' enough.
Find out more about Fatima Bano on her website: fatimabano.com
START YOUR OWN ART JOURNAL
Whether you're new to art or a seasoned artist, making a daily practice of creating in an art journal can really help you build your skills and inform your next work of art. Create one for yourself without the pressure of feeling like you need to show anyone; just make work for you to feed your creative spirit.
Here are two great options for art journals, both are heavy weight paper and can take watercolor or acrylic paint as well as other mixed media options. Click on the links below to find it right on Amazon!
Moleskine Art Plus Sketch Album, Large, Black Soft Cover (5x8.25)
Global Art Materials, Handbook watercolor journal, Watercolor, Landscape (5.25x8.25)